Pages

Wednesday 29 January 2014

What's Up Wednesday


What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme run by Erin L Funk and Jaime Morrow and is a great way for readers and writers to catch up on what we've been up to.
Acid
Bloodfever (Fever, #2)
What I'm reading


I read ACID by Emma Pass, which is a fantastic UK-set dystopia with an Orwellian government and a badass heroine. It's been a while since I read a YA dystopian which really gripped me, so I'd recommend this!
description


I'm also reading Bloodfever, the second in the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning. This is such an amazing urban fantasy series - I've downloaded the last three books already! (I think I'm addicted...)


 I also started the I am Just Junco series by J. A. Huss. It's my first time reading New Adult Sci-Fi, and it's great - dark, gritty stuff, packed with twists and turns. I finished Clutch and am starting Fledge, the second book.



What I'm writing

As I finished my YA post-apocalyptic fantasy draft last week, I started on a new WIP - a YA urban fantasy! So far, it's been slow but fun. I'm taking my time over the first few chapters, setting up a new fantasy world with new rules, which always takes forever, but I love the characters! Plus it's fun to be writing something more on the light-and-amusing side rather than a dark angstfest, like the last WIP.

Aaaaand the secret shiny mini-project is almost done! Hopefully I'll be able to reveal what it is soon!


What else I've been up to

Ugh. I've not had a great week. I think the word "querying" says it all, but add that to job rejections, reviews, life crises and everything else the universe sees fit to throw at me, it's been tough just to keep going.

On a more positive note, I've been editing and proof-reading some awesome books, for CQ and for clients. I love being busy - bizarrely, it makes me less stressed, because I'm channelling my angst into something else. Like typo-hunting and looking up word/phrase definitions and triple-checking details and such. I get weird looks from my family, who can't fathom why I enjoy these things...

Ah, well. I'm also the only person in my family who likes reading. Go figure.


What inspires me right now

Persistence and perseverance, because on some days, when every time you open your inbox you find another piece of unwelcome news, it's hard to focus on writing and it's tempting just to give up. But, as I've learned from experience, there's nothing more satisfying than getting a ton of work done on a day you could have given up. Nothing's better than getting 2000 words written despite the constant discouraging interruptions and moments of why bother? It's like a big F-you to the universe.

Also, when you're writing, it's easy to think you're totally alone in these things. But it's not true. The writing community on Twitter never ceases to amaze me. So supportive and genuinely nice - something amazingly hard to find elsewhere (the exception being my family and my boyfriend, who have been AWESOME this past week). :)

23 comments:

  1. Emma, you are very prolific in your reading/writing life! I am inspired by you (read: envious), and I hope good things happen very soon for you. Have a great week, and try to enjoy some downtime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard so much about Fever series by Karen Marie Moning, and since I'm a sucker for UF, I probably should check it out. Never mind the other 300 unread books on my kindle, right? lol

    How can you write so fast? Most of the time I think I write fast, but you beat me by a landslide!

    Oh, I love everything you wrote on the "What inspires me right now" - so true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've also heard good things about her books, but I haven't read much urban fantasy in the past few years. I think my library has one of her books on audio so I'm more apt to try it out that way.

      Delete
    2. I don't think I write as fast as a lot of authors! I'm lucky to get over 2000 words a day (usually it's a lot less!).

      My TBR list's never ending, lol!

      Delete
  3. Wow, you've got a lot going on right now. But it sounds like you have a good attitude about it, or at least enough work to channel your frustration towards. I hope it all works itself out soon and you have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This writing community is really valuable when you have those "why bother?" moments. There's comfort in knowing that you're not alone during the tough moments in querying or whatever. I really hope there's good news in your inbox soon!

    I've been a bit dystopian weary lately, but ACID does look good. I checked Goodreads and I had already bookmarked it! Happy to hear it was good. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I hope so, too. ACID's really good! :)

      Delete
  5. Ugh. I'm sorry you're having a trying week. Been there! In fact, I'm having a bit of a trying year, one of those in which everything I attempt seems to fail. Aaah, poor me! I hope next week is better for you, and best of luck with your new writing project. I am in awe of people who write fantasy and set up new and intricate worlds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, hope things get better for you, too!

      Delete
  6. I find that the more I put myself out there to do positive things, the more the F-you's come. Comes with the territory of taking risks and you just have to keep finding things to pump you up. Focus on something small, little rewards, chocolate, a movie, whatever. At least that's what helps for me until I have the energy to get back to work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that sounds like a great idea! Chocolate's a lifesaver when the world's getting you down! :)

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the reminder about Acid. I've been meaning to check it out and until I saw this it had completely slipped my mind.

    Hang in there with all that's going on. Thiiiiings can only get beeeettteeeeer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I'll have that stuck in my head now. :P

      Delete
  8. wow, sounds like you had quite the week. Sorry to hear, but I'm sure good things are just around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the last YA Dystopian I read set in the UK 1984! Interesting--I might have to check that book out.

    Rejection's a part of life (especially as a writer), but that doesn't mean it's easy to bear. I hope you get some great news in your inbox this week, Emma--whether in response to your query, or jobs, or both! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... *was* 1984. Sorry... my computer suffered a mild case of AVD: Accidental Verb Deletion. All is well again. :)

      Delete
  10. So sorry to hear you've had a lousy week. Querying is bad enough without all that other stuff thrown in. I know what you mean about that "why bother?" feeling. I find myself sinking into that way too often. I'm about to jump back into querying again and I'm sure I'll be asking myself that question constantly. Keep your chin up, and I hope things improve!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm excited to read ACID hopefully sometime soon. I am in love with that badass cover.

    One of these days, those unpleasant emails will turn into an "I love your book, let's talk" email and it will all be worth it <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have sold me on ACID and Clutch. I love Acid's cover too. My TBR list is growing huge. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete