Pages

Monday 16 December 2013

Emma's Top Dystopian/Post Apocalyptic and Sci-Fi Reads 2013

So, I wanted to write a 'Top 10 books of 2013' post...but as you know, I've read a LOT of books this year! Because it's impossible for me to narrow my favourites list to only 10 or 20 books, I've decided to split it by genre. So, today I'm looking at sci-fi, dystopian, and post-apocalyptic books! (please ignore the weird formatting. Blogger's decided not to play nice, and it's beyond my technological prowess to figure out why I can't just put the book cover images where I want them to go...)


The Blemished (Blemished #1)Shudder (Stitch Trilogy #2)
I suffered from dystopian burn-out a bit this year, but still discovered some fantastic new series. 
Stitch (Stitch Trilogy, #1)



Near the start of the year I reviewed The Blemished, the first in talented indie author Sarah Dalton's trilogy. I'll have to pick up the other two books at some point soon!







Another fantastic indie author I discovered this year is Samantha Durante, whose Stitch trilogy is a unique combination of dystopian and paranormal elements!
The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1)Open Minds (Mindjack Trilogy, #1)Susan Kaye Quinn imagines a fascinating version of the future in Open Minds, first in the Mindjacker trilogy - a future where mind-reading is normality!


Obsidian (Lux, #1)
World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)

All Our YesterdaysTwo more dystopian series which do something different are Patrick Ness's Chaos Walking (I plan to buy the other two books in the trilogy soon!) and Blood Red Road by Moira Young.


In the realm of sci-fi, by far my favourite book has to be All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill - possibly the best time travel YA book I've read!



I also discovered the sci-fi romance novels of Jennifer L. Armentrout, an author I especially admire for publishing an insane amount of novels in a short space of time - and said novels being completely addictive!


And finally, I absolutely loved World After, the sequel to Angelfall. Seriously - of all these books, it's the one I'd definitely say, 'Buy it now!'.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, I may check out some of these.

    The Knife of Never Letting Go is one of my all time favourite books. I just love it. Patrick Ness is supremely talented.

    ReplyDelete