Pages

Saturday 29 December 2012

Highlights of 2012!

Well, it's been quite a year. Looking back, I'm amazed at how much has happened, especially with my writing. I started out with half a novel and an undying dream. Now I'm an almost-published author with nearly three novels completed this year! How on earth I managed that, I've honestly no idea. I guess it's time to look back on some of the highlights of 2012...


  • Work Experience at Macmillan Children's Books: This was one of my proudest moments. I'd applied to over 30 publishers for work experience but without any prior experience, I wasn't having much luck. Then Macmillan contacted me to offer me a 2-week placement in Marketing and Publicity, and I finally got the chance to experience working for a major publishing company! A fantastic two weeks! :)
  • Finishing my third completed novel, THE PUPPET SPELL, and uploading it to Authonomy for feedback! I managed (through hours spend critiquing other people's work) to get over 100 comments and some fantastic advice on improving the book.
  • Having some amazing times with people from uni, including cinema trips - the best was definitely The Hunger Games! (except now I've seen The Hobbit, I'm not so sure!)
  • Hiking in the Lake District and Yorkshire :)
  •  
(this was taken in Malham, Yorkshire!)
  • Going on a road trip to Haworth (home of the Bronte sisters) with my friends!
(Outside the Bronte Parsonage Museum!)
  • Epic day at Blackpool Pleasure Beach with my boyfriend. Pouring rain meant no queues and a whole day of rollercoasters! (adrenaline junkie that I am :P)
  • Passing my second year at university with a 2.1!
  • Starting this blog! (can't believe it's been 8 months!)
  • Getting my first short story published in an online magazine, Inkapture!
  • Dressing up as a Powerpuff Girl for the end-of-year celebrations, watching the sun rise from campus, and watching some awesome bands for my last night in Lancaster before summer!
  •  
  • (The theme was superheroes and supervillains :P)

  • Spending 5 weeks in Costa Rica, learning  Spanish, volunteering, and travelling around doing awesome adventure activities! Certainly an unforgettable experience!
(abseiling down a waterfall in Arenal Adventure World, Fortuna!)
  • Going to Italy for a week with my family and visiting Sorrento, Capri, Pompeii and Rome! Best family holiday in ages. :D
  •  
  •  

  • Celebrating my 21st!
  • Returning to Lancaster for my third year of university! Crazy times despite having no money, ending with the awesome Winter Ball!
  • Finishing another book (Darkworld Book 1: Darkness Watching), and starting another (Book 2 - first draft now finshed!)

Wow! I know I've been lucky. I'm now permanently skint so no more travelling for a while, but I'm hoping next year brings even better things (like a publishing contract for my next book series! Please. Please...). I guess the most important thing 2012's given me is a real sense of direction. Having done work experience at a publishing house, I can safely say that's where I want to work! And I finally achieved my dream - a publishing contract. I even finished three books in a year!

I'm really grateful to everyone who's helped make this year awesome, including everyone who's followed me on Twitter, followed this blog, added my book on Goodreads and liked my Facebook page. You guys are fantastic. Here's to another year of reading/writing!

1 comment:

  1. Some has indeed had an awesome year! May it be a stepping stone to an even better one next year!

    ReplyDelete